Thursday 5 December 2013

Personal Shoot 2: Alien

Plans for the shoot:
After my last shoot went so well, I have been inspired to take my idea a bit further.  Still remaining with the surreal makeup looks, I want to explore further the 'alien' feel that I achieved and actually create an alien look.  I want this look to be colourful and bright, therefore I am planning on using VUA paints and florescent eyeshadows.  I am going to embellish the look with glitter and gems as I want to create different textures and elements for the light to catch hold of in the shot too.

As before, the grey background is likely to be the one I use as it always photographs really nicely, however as it is an alien look I am also going to see what the black background looks like as this would add to connotations of the sky and space.

Shoot Evaluation:
The shoot today definitely didn't go as well as I thought it would have done and I don't really feel I achieved at all what I wanted.  I encountered many problems at the beginning of the shoot, and though I was able to partly rectify them it affected the overall shoot and the images that I got.  The first problem was with the lightening - because I'd used UVA and florescent makeup I had to change all the lightening to get this show up and this then affected the rest of the look and the photo, so I have to revert it back to what it originally was loose the bright colours.  I also experimented with the black background too but this didn't work as well as I had hoped and the subject got lost in the background too due to her dark hair colour (so I went with grey instead).

This is one shot from the shoot today - I am not really happy with any of the shots from today but this is one of the better ones.  I have had to really edit the photo so that the colours stand out and become visible and I don't like this  - it looks over-edited in my opinion.  I like the effect that I have put on my eyes.  I changed the colour of them and made the highlights more accentuated and this has added a more alien vibe.  I like the emotion on the subjects face - it looks soft yet mysterious and this is the kind of thing that I wanted to go for.


This is another photo from the shoot today.  This is one that I edited differently to see how I could bring the colours out more.  I quite like the way the accentuated purple tone has brought out some more of the colours on the makeup as this is one of the initial problems that I found in the shoot.  I dislike the expression on the subjects face here - I think it looks bored and though there is eye contact with the camera, the subject isn't really connecting with the camera.  I use myself as a subject and I think because throughout the duration of this shoot I encountered many problems I became disheartened and this then showed through on my face.

I have definitely learned a lot in this shoot, mostly that if the shoot isn't going to plan not to get disheartened too much and let it affect the rest of the shoot, as this clearly affects the final photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment