Thursday 3 October 2013

Work Diary - Multiple Imagery

Shoot Evaluation

In today's class we looked at multiple imagery. At first I didn't like this technique as I found it hard to grasp the concept of 'not thinking' and just photographing something 'randomly'.  After a while though I started to grasp the idea of what I was trying to achieve and I actually found the shoot quite therapeutic and relaxing in comparison to some other techniques I have learned in shoots.  I liked the way you could structure the shoot so when photographing a subject you could focus on details by zooming in and out, or you could just literally photograph something in random places at random.

I didn't think at first that this is a technique that I would like to experiment with but I actually quite liked the effect that was achieved.  I love the way the photos turned out as they look so unique and different every time - you could photograph the same thing over and over and the composition at the end would still be different. We looked at different ways of executing and presenting this technique.  In some instants' you can present it a bit like a photo-joiner, however, because I looked at this technique last year I thought I would look at something new that I hadn't done before, so chose to present my work in neat grids.  Here are some of the photos from today:

This first shot is one that I really like.  I had this image originally spaced out on a grid and then merged them together.  I love the abstract and contemporary feel the photo has.  I really like how the colour is so vibrant on the flowers and it doesn't follow any structure or pattern - this makes the photo more visually dynamic and interesting to look at. 


The second photo is the same one as the top only this time it is spaced out on the grid - I wanted to show the difference in two different ways of presenting.  For the images the I took (of the flowers) I didn't think this way of presenting worked as well as they all look the same (although this is OK with multiple imagery) and I would have liked to use this kind of presentation to look at focusing on more details.  I think this would have made the photo more interesting to look at.  I again like the colour in the photo as it so vibrant, and the array of colours in random patterns make it look pretty.



How I could use this technique in my own project

In the end I actually liked this technique and I think it something that I would like to incorporate into my own project.  I like the idea of using the spaced out gird to photograph a classic beauty makeup look only where I can really zoom in and focus on details on the face.  The would allow me to really show different textures and colours in the shot.  I think it would be a nice way of presenting a 'dated' makeup look too, like something 50s inspired where I would have an accent colour like red to focus on.  This would make the overall final piece quite high-fashion and chic I think.

Anther way I would like to use this technique is by using the merged grid and photographing makeup itself.  an example of this would be to 'break' makeup like lipsticks and eye shadow pigments and making a 'mess' with them.  Then taking lots of photos of the makeup in this state I would be able to pick up a lot of detail in terms of different textures such as matte, sparkle, sheer, and then put this all together to make a visually interesting composition in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment