Wednesday 2 October 2013

Researched Photographers: 1

Photographer one: Iain Crawford

About this photographer
Iain Crawford grew up in Africa and Malaysia and developed a passion for photography at an early age. After moving for London, he left and spent several years living and working in New York, he is now based back in London but continues to work internationally as a photographer.  "Iain loves to capture images that have a strong graphic and textural quality, often searching out the graphical symmetry in chaos, while still maintaining the personality and emotion of the subject."  He has shot for some of the biggest brands in the world during his career and is renounced for the contemporary look and fresh, modern vibe all his work boasts.

Why have I picked this photographer?
I have chosen Iain Crawford as a photographer that I want to research further as I find his work very inspirational and unique.  I particularly love his collection of work combining beauty and movement called 'beauty: kinetic'.  I love the way he has combined make-up and movement together to create some really interesting compositions.  This is something that I would like to try myself in my own work and it is also something that I think would present the opportunity to use some of the techniques I have learned in class I would like, hence giving me the chance to expand my portfolio and add variation.

Evaluation


Here is one shot from Crawford's kinetic series that I particularly like.  I love the way water here has been used as the movement element of the shot and the look and feel this has given the photo.  The positioning and expression of the model is strong and her eyes has been left less exposed with the water and this adds a focal point - working with makeup as my topic I think the eyes are something important to keep focal as more often than not I will be working with the face.  The eyeshadow here as also added to this as it is so bright in comparison to other colours in the shot and against the sterile background used.  This photo has definitely inspired me to do something with other materials such as water or potentially powder paint that I can use to add movement with in a photo and achieve the same contemporary editorial feel about my work.



This is a shot from Crawford's classic beauty series of work.  I like the more traditional feel this photo has in terms of taking a beautiful beauty shot, but love the modern twist it has been given with the makeup design itself.  Simplicity is certainly something I strive for in my work, keeping things neat and tidy and ensuring there is a clear focal point to the photo and this is something that I can see here.  I love the angle at which the photo has been taken and the definition this has given the face - this is something important when photographing makeup as it compliments the overall look.  Personally I love here how the model has been done up to 'blend' in with the background colour used - this is something I have attempted to make work before and this shot has inspired me to try it again.  The focus is predominately on the eyes as it is the darkest part of the photo, really contrasting with everything else that is white.  I like the cool and collected expression of the model - expression is another really important thing to consider when photographing makeup and doing portraiture work like this as it can change the entire overall feel of the image.  Clashes in textures have been used in the photo so that other parts of the image are not lost within all the white used such as the shine on the head accessory and the gloss on the lips  This is something I am going to bare in mind with my own work in order to create subtle accentuation on certain parts of a photograph that doesn't distract too much from the focal point.


This photo has really caught my attention for the contemporary and modern direction that the makeup has gone in.  I love the combination of abstract art and makeup and think the overall photo has turned out beautifully.  I think the contrast in colour is very striking and vibrant.  I like how no real makeup has been used here and instead it is all done using paints - it gives a very modern, chic vibe about the photo.  The expression of the model is key here.  I think clashes with all the chaotic and colour in the photo as her expression is very soft and angelic.  This kind of contrast is something that I would like to combine into my own work.  As mentioned I plan on doing a lot portraiture work and therefore the expression is essential as it can change the overall photo dramatically.  I am very inspired to try something modern and unusual like this.


I love the fact that this shot is taken in black and white.  I think it gives a very 50s/60s feel about it - this in turn makes me think of more classic beauty shots.  I think the black and white being used in this photo makes it very striking.  I adore the expression of the model! - I think she looks very sexy yet feminine at the same time.  The eyes are really captivating in the shot and draw the viewer in to look at them.  Again there is a noted contrast, this time between the makeup on the face (dramatic eyes and soft natural lips).  This has added to the feel of the photo as the pose is also quite seductive, yet the natural elements of the makeup have helped to soften this.  I really like the sheer look the skin has been given - I always think beauty shots look better in black and white (typically) especially when trying to make the photo flawless like here with the skin.  This can also be seen with the shine on the hair.  This photo has definitely inspired to look at doing some classic beauty shots and perhaps to make them look like they are from a certain time period (like the 60s for example) as opposed to giving it the modern twist.  This way I can expand my photography portfolio and gain experience photographing something from a different time that would naturally have a different look and feel, adding variation in my work and displaying ability to work in black and white too.

Influence

Iain Crawford's work has really inspired me for ideas for my own personal project.  I love the feel all of his photos with the energy and the contemporary vibe they have.  I think Crawford really knows how to work with his models in order to direct them into getting the best possible shot - the expression on their faces is always perfect for creating the right effect in the photo and he has a way of really capturing the model at the best angle to accentuate their features and compliment the face structure.  He does this using light, shadow and colour.  This is something that I want to achieve in my own project.  His work is also very modern in terms of the beauty looks he uses in his photography.   I really like this about his work as it is an area of beauty/makeup photography that I am particularly interested in.  

Summary

Overall, Crawford's work is something that has really inspired and interested me.  His work caught my attention as the execution of his pieces are like that of what I would like to achieve myself.  Upon researching his work my opinion has remained the same and I have become more inspired into looking at beauty photography using various different materials other than just makeup to get the desired effect that I want in a photo, as well as looking at how I can use light in photos to my advantage.  His work is fun and yet still sophisticated 'beauty' look about it, as well as looking at different aspects of beauty that might not necessarily be considered 'beautiful'.  This is a very modern idea of beauty and makeup photography and something that I wish to explore myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment