Thursday 7 November 2013

Personal Shoot 3: Sixties Inspired

Plans for the shoot:
In today's shoot I am planning to do something that is sixties inspired.  I have chosen to do something sixties inspired as during this time period fashion was making a big statement and this included makeup.  When you think of the sixties you think about the matte skin, the pale lips and the bold eyelashes that everyone was wearing and this is the look that I want to recreate for the shoot.  Photography from this time is also very inspirational as it captures these looks beautifully.

I want to really capture the shot as it were the sixties, therefore I have considered different ways of doing this.  I think experimenting with some black and white shots could be fun and also help me to channel the final pieces that I am after.  I plan on using the grey background as I love the way this looks and as the makeup look I am doing is mostly consisting of black and white I think it will compliment this and allow me to continue with the harmonious colour scheme.

Shoot Evaluation:
Overall I am really happy with how this shoot turned out.  I think the shots that I have ended up with are reminiscent of the sixties yet still have a modern, up-to-date feel about them too.

This is one of the shots that  I like from today that I made black and white.  I think that it has helped accentuate the sixties feel that I was going for and in turn help to make the shoot more of a success.  I love the expression and the pose of the subject and I think gives connotations of the sixties.  I used the liquify effect on the eyelashes; even though I used false eyelashes for this look by using this effect it really made them stand out more.  I am happy with this effect as I think it has made it  extremely dramatic and this has given a more contemporary feel.  I did find the liquify effect hard to use at first, but once I got used to it I really valued it and I want to find reason to it again  - there are many different ways to use this tool in Photoshop and I would like to experiment with them.  This photo has a classy, sophisticated feel about it, as well as also having a fun and flirty vibe too, which is something that is very similar to photography you see in the sixties.  


These are two more photos from my shoot today - I LOVE THEM!  I was experimenting with different tools in Photoshop and by chance developed my work into this.  I adore the feel and the effect that these photos have.  The one on the left is almost haunting as there is no eye contact with the camera and I think the subject looks lifeless.  This has given a totally different slant to the sixties feel I was going for, but I like the variation that this has added - I also feel this have provided a contemporary and unique mood to the final piece.  By photographing the subject like this too it has also allow me to show a different side to the makeup.  

The photo on the right is my favourite that I got out of the entire shoot.  I love the drama and the intensity that is present in the picture.  To get this effect on the photo, as with the other photo, I was experimenting with different effects and tools in Photoshop.  This effect was achieved by playing around with the exposure levels, the saturation and the lightness etc.  I love the way the the subject is connecting with camera and how intense the eyes look.  The pose is something that has also added to the sixties feel - I think the white nails here is also very influential of this time period too, as well as being something I have yet to photograph is makeup yet.  

In both photos something that I like is the cropping and the angle at which they are taken.  I like the cropping as you cannot see anything but the subject herself - this gives a totally different effect to when you can see the background in a photo.  In terms of the angle I positioned the camera so it was slightly at a high angle.  This made the eyes look bigger and in turn has helped me to capture that innocent yet flirty feel that is present in the the photo.








No comments:

Post a Comment