Wednesday 23 April 2014

Personal Shoot 12: Ring Flash

Plans for the shoot:
In today's class I am going to using the ring flash.  Given I am looking at makeup/beauty photography for this project I think it is important that I experiment using this as it is used a lot in close up beauty shots.

I am planning on using myself for this shoot again and just doing a daily makeup look that is more simple and refreshing than some of my other photos and seeing how it works with the ring flash.  I am going to be using the white background as it will provide and clean, sterile environment that provides no distracts from the subject.

I think facial expression would be a good thing to experiment here with seeing as everything else in the shot is going to be kept quite simple.

Shoot Evaluation:
I am relatively happy with how this shoot went, although I this is a shoot where I would have preferred to work with a model.  Using myself as a subject in this shoot was more difficult for me as I didn't feel as confident trying to get lots of different expressions.

Other than this though I am liked the effect of the ring flash and think I got some good shots with it.  Here is my favourite shot from today:


I like this photo as it was taken when I wasn't expecting it to be, and therefore the pose and expression are more and natural.  I love how the ring flash has made everything in the photo look more flawless e.g. the skin.  The sterile background has worked well here too and imitates that of what you would see in published beauty shots etc.




Here is another photo from today, though I am not as happy with it:



Although I like how the ring flash has been used in this photo, I am not fond of the expression of the subject.  Again, I think this could have been avoided should I have used a model as I wasn't comfortable myself tying to get lots of expressions.





After today, I would definitely consider using the ring flash again in another shoot where I felt it fitting to do so as I like the effect it gives.  I wasn't happy with my photos overall today though and think raw beauty shots are something I would avoid in the future, or at least where using myself as a subject is concerned anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment