Wednesday 23 April 2014

Photo Shoot 3: Pop Art

Plans for the shoot:
Today's photo shoot is going to be pop art inspired.  I thought of this idea as human representation could be through a painting, drawing or cartoon etc. and then though I could create a makeup look that makes a human themselves, look like a cartoon.  I will be using myself as a subject in this shoot.

Colour will be a key thing for me to pay attention to in this shoot.  Cartoons in a pop art style use minimal colours and usually stick to bring, primary colours.  The makeup look itself is going to include red, so I think the aqua blue background will be a nice contrasting background that will conform to colour style of the cartoon.  The whole idea of this shoot is going to be to make my face look '2D' and to create the illusion of a cartoon.

Shoot Evaluation:
I am EXTREMELY happy with how today went!  The photos turned out fantastically and I think I achieved what I was going for.  Although I found this difficult to create to begging with, I the end result has been well worth it.  Some problems I encountered was trying to get the pose right and this has to correspond with the makeup - I created the look so it would appear as 2D as possible and therefore I had to angle my face to compliment this.  Once I had worked these angles out though everything ran smoothly (except for my wig moving around a few times).
Here is my favourite shot from toady:

I am happy with the pose and expression of the subject and think it imitates perfectly that of a pop art cartoon.  Everything in the photo as created using makeup, however, I wasn't happy with the hair so I played around with different effects in Photoshop till I go this.  I created this effect using a filter, then erasing and fading it out where I didn't want it.  The cropping of the photo of centre, something I am fond of, and the sterile aqua background really made the subject stand out as the hair and makeup colours contrast well.





This is another photo very similar to the first.










Here is an example of what the photos looked like with out the editing. I am happy with this too, although I definitely think adding the filter so the hair matched the makeup enhanced the photo and made it 'complete'.  This shoot has again lead me to want to try out more subtle editing tools in Photoshop - so far experimenting with them has worked out well for me

No comments:

Post a Comment