Wednesday 23 April 2014

Photo Shoot 2: Broken Doll

Plans for the shoot:
In today's class I am going to be conducting a shoot where the concept is focusing around a broken doll.  I have chosen to look a doll in this shoot as I thought it would be a good representation of a child's human figure, or even imitate that of adults who strive for superficial perfection, like that of a doll.

The 'broken' idea behind is purely because I think it will make the shoot look more visually interesting. Nevertheless it could hold a deeper meaning reflecting that of a individuals state of mind.

I am planning on using the aqua colour background as I think it will compliment the colours I am going to use in the makeup best.  I want to get a variety of different shots in the shoot e.g. close-up portraiture,  full body etc. and work on my editing skills to enhance the look I am going to create.


Shoot Evaluation:
I am really happy with how the shoot went today.  I think I got some interesting photos and everything seemed to run smoothly.  Looking at my editing more has definitely benefited my this time and I am pleased with the result that I have gotten - the 'liquify' tool is something I particularly like.  Here are tow of my favourite shots from today.



I love this first shot!  I think it looks visually interesting and has a eerie kind of feel about it.  For this photo I angled the camera very high so it would in turn a make me look small (it would also accentuate my eyes too which helped with the doll effect).  I tried out lots of different poses, trying to make my body look stiff and awkward like a doll - I was happy with this pose, I think the stances of the subject resembles that of a doll.  I then went on in Photoshop to distort the body and make it look like a creepy doll.  I used the liquify tool mostly to pinch in my waist and slim and shape my legs into awkward proportion.  I made my nose and mouth smaller using the same effect, then enlarged my eyes, head and feet using the 'bloat' feature.  I am extremely happy with the effect.  The cropping of this photo is something else I like - it's not central and I think the aqua background has worked excellently with the look.


This second photo is my favourite from today.  I wanted to look at some close up portraiture shots and this worked amazingly for me and the effect I wanted to create.  I cropped this photo down so the hair was farming it and there was no other visible background showing - this allowed the facial features to really stand out.  I desaturated the photo and then change the exposure levels to get the colours to look this way.  After this, I turned my attention to the facial features.  I didn't want to manipulate the photo a lot as I was happy with how the makeup looked, but I accentuated the eyes slightly by using the bloat tool in Photoshop again to make my pupil look bigger.  I also pinched in my nose slightly too.  I think this photo is quite haunting and drawing to look at.  OI am extremely happy with the end result.







Overall I think today's shoot went really well.  I like the photos and am glad I have started to be more adventurous with editing my photos, as I think in this instance it has really enhanced the photos and made them better.  I will definitely be using the liquify tool in my work in the future as this is something I really liked.  The idea and concept of this piece was fun to create and I would love to do something like it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment