Monday 16 September 2013

Work Diary - Multiple Flash


Shoot Evaluation
 
This is one technique that I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about and loved the effect that it gives.  I think it would be an interesting effect to experiment with as it allows you as the photographer to capture movement in a still image.  In terms of using the camera it is one of the techniques where I have learned the most. 
 
For this technique I worked in the studio today.  I love working in the studio and was anxious to learn how to do the technique as the set-up was more complex than normal. I divided my time up equally between the black and the white background.  The effects on the different backgrounds were very different but I liked both.  Here are some examples of my work from the shoot today, one from each different background:


 This is one of the photos that I really like on the white background.  I liked the white background as, although the models didn't stand out as well on it, I think the effect can potentially be used for a more ghostly feel about an image as they end up so faded.  I particularly liked this image from today as you can really see the difference in the multiple flash where the movement has occurred.  On the end photo the light has almost completely burned out the last image, but I think this has worked well as it looks evenly gradual across the photo. I had to crop the final photo as I found photographing this difficult in terms of positioning the shot - I think this is because you need to think about each individual shot as you take them at once and direct your model.  I think it would just be a case of practice and good communication with the model.





Here is the second photo taken on the black background.  I liked using this background as the models really stood out well on it.  I think if I were to re-do this shoot I would need to guide my models more as they didn't move in synchronised fashion as I had hoped to get an even finish to the photo.  I think as an experimental starting point though I am happy with the shot.  I like the way the fading in the multiple flash here is less subtle and has remained stronger - this would give me more of a chance to capture more movement in the shot whereas with the white background I felt more limited and constrained with what I could do.

How I could apply this technique in my own project

I really enjoyed this technique today and it has got me thinking about how I could apply it in my own project.  Because the technique allows to capture movement within a still image it got me thinking about the application of makeup and how I could capture this in a shot.  It also made me think of contrasts and using two models with contrasting looks and getting them to move around each other so the looks 'blur' together to create a interesting and modern effect.  I love capturing something kinetic in a shot and I think in terms of trying to re-create something editorial this effect would work well with abstract and contemporary looks where you could add movement with paint, powders and even water.





No comments:

Post a Comment