Friday 24 January 2014

Personal Shoot 10: Bird Inspiration

Plans for the shoot:
In today's class I am going to be conducting a shoot where the makeup look is inspired by a bird.  I am going to be using lots of feathers and gems to create a really chic, contemporary look.  I want the look to be quite dark with bright vibrant hues in it that stand out.  This look is going to be quite surreal, and therefore I this this provides another shoot with the opportunity for looking at different poses and angles.

I'm not sure what background I am going to use, although I think the white background will work best, potentially the grey as well.  I want the lightening to be nice and bright as this will really allow he brighter colours to stand out.

Shoot Evaluation:
I am really happy with how the shoot went today and the photos that I have ended up with.  The look photographed beautifully and the colours I chose all complimented each other well and helped to balance all elements in the photos.

Initially I was unsure of what background I was going to use, so I tried out the off-white background and the grey background, but wasn't happy with either.  I then wasn't sure of what colour background would look good with this look, but then trying out the pure white background and left it unlit and loved the result! - I wanted to use a light coloured background so the colours in look stood out well and this one worked the best.

Using myself as a subject again, I tried hard to be able to get a variety of different shots that saw different angles and poses, and I think I achieved this well in some photos.  Here are some of my favourite photos from the shoot:


This first photo is my favourite from all of them.  I really like the pose and expression and think that this photo channels perfectly the chic, almost editorial look I wanted to achieve.  The subject connected well with the camera and this has allowed the viewer to be more drawn into the photo.  The light also caught the glitter on the nails in this photo as well as the gems on the makeup and this added a nice element.





This next photo caught my attention when editing as the pose is so different.  It's arguably weird and awkward looking, but I think that this element has added a refreshing twist in the photos and has made it really contemporary looking.  The feathers used in the makeup all stood really well during the shoot, despite trying out different angles and poses like this.




This third photo is different to some of the others that I have.  I took it from a photo that was taken portrait and cropped in down to this.  I like the way you can really see the makeup up close here - the skin looks flawless and has photographed beautifully, also allow other embellishments on the face (such as the diamonds) to stand out with the light hitting them and highlighting the different textures.  I think this photo has a slightly moodier feel about it, and the way the camera is angled slightly downward at the model has opened her eyes and made them connect really well with the camera.

I found through-out this project that I like using this angle when doing closer portrait shots.









I like the emotion and captivating feel this final photo has; I think it's quite drawing to look at and it pulls the viewer in.  The expressions is mysterious and I like the pose and how the model is looking over her shoulder.  I was happy with the composition of all the photos like this and think it works well with the look.






This was a fun look to create and shoot and I am so happy with results.  I really enjoy shooting these more surreal, intriguing looks as I think they all photograph so beautifully and they look so different to other beauty and makeup looks in photography I have seen before.

Using the feathers were a good idea and I like how in these photos you can see the texture of them and how well they stood up against the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment