Saturday 4 January 2014

Personal Shoot 6: Gothic Inspiration

Plans for the shoot:
I am going to be looking at incorporating Gothic fashion and makeup into my photo shoot today.  I am planning on having two parts to the shoot, one where the makeup look isn't so dark and one where it is very dark and Gothic.  I want to be bale to get a variety of photos that show a chic, modern vibe to the fashion inspiration I have chosen.

I am planning on using the white background today as everything I am going to be wearing is dark and, including the makeup, therefore this will ensure that the subject stands out and is strong in the photo.

Shoot Evaluation:
I think today's shoot went well, though I encountered more problem today with using myself as model (in terms of getting my poses and facial expression right).  Nevertheless, after some struggle I was able to get a mirror and used this to help me get me get these right.

Here are some of the photos from today:

These first two photos are from when I was I was getting trouble with my pose, but I happy with these.  Here you can also see a contrast between the darker and the more subtle makeup looks like I did.  I like the pose here of the subject and I think it complimented the makeup look and it worked with the dress and heels too - I think it  also added to that Gothic feel that I was going for.  The photo on the left with the darker makeup looks very moody and sultry, whereas the one on the left looks more sweet and innocent.  This is something that I have not thought about doing before and I am really happy with how the a simple change can make two very similar photos have very different vibes and feelings.




















This final photo is my favourite from today as it really captured what I wanted in terms of it being dark and sultry.  I used Photoshop to create the effect that I have on the eyes. This has drawn more attention to them as they are the darkest thing in the photo, and although there is no literal eye contact with the camera they are very haunting and this has ensured that they have remained the focus in the shot.

I think the white background worked well in this photo, and the others too.  I wanted to make sure that all the darker elements in the photo stood out and this worked well.

This shoot has definitely made me think more about what I can do in terms of using the body to create different poses and how this has an effect on the overall photo.  I also want to start using different Photoshop effects along with the makeup looks that I create as this helps to enhance them and change the vibe and feel that the photo has.  I have only really conducted shoots so far where I focus on the face and this has shown me how makeup and beauty photography can be used in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment